This is your year to get in your best workout! If you are new to rowing or have some background in it, you need to know that it will work you from top to bottom. The more intensity and sweat you build, the better your fitness level and overall health will be. If you are new or considering getting back into rowing, you need to know what the best rowers out there are. Beyond that, you need to understand the different components of the rower and why it will benefit you to take a chance. Keep reading to learn about the 8 best rowers under $1000 and see why rowing needs to be your next fitness move!
- IN A HURRY?
- Best Rowers Under 1000
- What to Look For in the Best Rowers Under 1000
- Benefits of Rowing
IN A HURRY?
Best Rowers Under 1000
Below are the best rowers under 1000. They have unique qualities, making one of them the right option for you. These are ideal for home workouts.
- Integrated Device Holder allows you to keep your Smart Phone or Tablet securely in place. Compatible with over 40+ apps.
- 14-inch seat height fits most uses. Adjustable footrests and ergonomic handle
- Indoor rowing is an effective full-body and low-impact workout; flywheel design minimizes noise while maximizing a smooth feel
- Includes the Performance Monitor 5, giving you accurate, comparable data for every row. Bluetooth and ANT+ functionality to connect wirelessly to apps and heart rate monitors.
- Easily separates into two pieces for storage. Caster wheels make it mobile. Construction: Aluminum front legs and steel rear legs.
The Concept 2 Model D rowing machine has a few different features than the Concept 2 Model E. It weighs less than the Model E at only 58 pounds, making it easier to break down and store when necessary. Also, it still has a 96-inch length, but the height is only 14 inches. Wireless heart belts are available to help you track your health with the attached Performance Monitor. The Concept 2 Model D uses air resistance and 2 D-cell batteries power it.
- Self-calibrating monitor that provides quality health information.
- Adjustable foot pedals.
- Aluminum and stainless steel frame
- The height is a little short, making it harder for taller rowers.
- The seat height is also only 14 inches, which also impacts the taller rowers.
The Sole SR500 rowing machine is a quality hybrid air-magnetic rowing machine designed for high-intensity workouts. No going to the gym and waiting in line. Just hop on your SR500 and start rowing! The SR500 has 16 levels of resistance that provides an intense full-body workout. Best of all, Sole gives a lifetime warranty on the frame and 3 years warranty on parts. They also provide a 30 day money back guarantee if you are not totally happy with the rower (they will even pay for the return shipping)!
- Steel Frame and Aluminum Monorail
- 18 Inch Height
- Adjustable Foot rests
- Bright LCD Display
- Eight Feet Long
The Row Warrior rowing machine is an air resistance rower that has 10 levels of resistance. The Row Warrior’s frame is made from super sturdy alloy and stainless steel. They also made this rower with high quality and super quiet components. You can fold the Warrior for storing – which is good, as it is almost 8 feet long. The Row Warrior has a maximum weight capacity of 550 pounds.
- Sturdy frame made from alloy and stainless steel
- 10 Levels of air resistance
- Quiet & Foldable
- Maximum Weight Capacity 550 lbs
- Pivoting foot plates with adjustable straps
- Almost 8 feet long
- Small LCD Display
- THE ORIGINAL WATERROWER - HANDCRAFTED AND BUILT TO LAST - Designed in the mid '80s by Yale and US National Team Rower John Duke. WaterRower continues to combine stylish design, handcrafted...
- MADE IN USA - Hand-built in Rhode Island; all timber used in the manufacture of wooden WaterRower rowing machines is sourced from sustainably managed hardwood forests in the Appalachian Mountains. The...
- SMOOTH - Water rowers use a water-filled flywheel to provide resistance as you row. The resistance is created by the paddle-like blades of the flywheel moving through the water, creating a smooth and...
- BURN CALORIES IN SHORT TIME - There are many benefits to rowing. It is a low impact cardiovascular exercise that puts less stress on your joints. Full body workout that includes your legs, core, back...
- BEST WARRANTY - 1 year manufacturers warranty (upgradeable to 3-year parts while 5-year frame is free of charge w/ registration). No call center - Work with U.S. representatives. DIMENSIONS - 82" L x...
Designed with a wood and aluminum frame, unlike other modern rowing machines, the WaterRower A1 Home Rowing Machine comes with an ash wood finish and offers those exercising the opportunity to experience water resistance. It is a lighter weight to move and manage compared to other rowing machines, but it offers a super intense workout with the water as resistance. Another unique feature of the WaterRower A1, compared to others, is the reduced sounds and vibrations that are generated so often with other rowing machines. When you row on this machine, many feel as though they are taking on the ocean, experiencing something that requires dedication.
- Water resistance
- Ash wood & Aluminum frame
- Maximum weight of 661 pounds
- Stand up and store in order to maximize the most space in your room.
- There is no actual screen on the machine, just a timer available to use with large numbers. This prevents the ability to join a group membership or use the screen for additional uses while you are rowing.
- The seat on this machine is not as innovative as others, meaning that posture could be impacted if you do not adjust yourself during the workout.
- ROWING MADE BETTER: Engage more muscles than any other rower with bi-directional resistance. The patented elliptical path lets you switch from a pull motion to a push motion mid-workout to target...
- BETTER CARDIO & STRENGTH: Work your full upper and lower body in one workout. Burn calories while building lean muscle with just one piece of compact home fitness equipment.
- CUSTOMIZE YOUR WORKOUT: Multi-grip handles allow you to target specific muscles in the upper body for optimal toning. 7 levels of variable resistance lets you increase intensity for full muscle burn...
- FREE PERSONAL TRAINING APP: Access on-demand trainer-led workouts – no subscription or fees. From beginner classes to high intensity training, our trainers will guide you on your path to total...
- PERFORMANCE TRACKER + HEART RATE MONITOR: The Digital Performance Monitor tracks time, calories, distance, and strokes per minute. The included bluetooth enabled chest strap connects to the monitor...
Choosing the magnetic resistance of the Teeter Power10 Rower, you can get a quality workout easily at home. The design is a little different on this rower, as it sits a little higher and looks more like a stationary bike. You can still get the resistance and cardio workout that you are looking for, especially with the quality seat and performance tracker available. It makes the workout easier, encouraging beginners to take advantage of the rowing lifestyle. There is a personal training app available that is free with the Power10 Rower.
- The stable design prevents too much damage to the body and muscles, especially for beginners.
- Free Teeter App to track and maintain progress
- Performance Tracker stores information and provides calculations based on your workouts.
- Adjustable settings
- No large monitor like some of the other rower models.
- Only 7 levels of resistance.
- Echelon Premier Membership: Join Echelon Premier to get free access for 30 days to over 3,000 live and on-demand fitness classes. These classes are tailored for all levels of fitness from beginners to...
- Multiple Features: This rowing machine workout has a LCD screen for interactive workout sessions. Resistance controls on handlebars, easy-glide seats, and 32 silent magnetic resistance levels offer...
- Dynamic Design: Echelon Row-s Connected Rowing Machine provides a full-body, low-impact workout. This rower features a new, LCD screen, allowing you to mix up row workouts as you take classes
- Quiet & Smooth: The magnetic resistance system used in this rowing machines for home ensures a quiet and non-contact workout experience. This workout machine has a high-density steel construction...
- Satisfaction Guarantee: Our top priority is the comfort of our customers, and we strive to keep them 100% satisfied. All our products are genuine & we are confident you will love them just as much as...
Coming in with magnetic resistance is the Echelon Smart Rower. This rower is one of the lighter-weight options and can easily fold so you can store it out of the way after you have completed your workout. The frame is alloy steel and has grips for traction on the handle. There are up to 32 different resistance levels and the competition seat that is designed on this Echelon rower glides easily back and forth to boost the quality of your workout.
If you want to maximize the benefits of this rower, you have the option to enjoy an Echelon membership where you can join others by using a tablet or your smartphone, get upbeat music and workouts for all resistance levels. If you don’t want to use a tablet or smartphone and are willing to spend extra, consider upgrading to the Echelon Smart Row S. The Row S has a 22 inch rotating HD screen that has built-in WiFi and Bluetooth functionality to help amp up your rowing workouts!
- Solid frame built from alloy steel.
- 32 levels of resistance that are easy to change on the handles.
- Competition seat you can adjust for your comfort.
- The membership comes strongly recommended so that you can get the full experience with your machine.
- 400 pound weight limit is lower than some other competitors.
- [30-day iFIT trial included] - Follow expert iFIT Trainers in 10,000+ outdoor workouts around the world. Internet and WIFI required. iFIT Membership auto-renews for $39/mo plus tax unless canceled in...
- [Bluetooth headphone compatible] - tune out the world and tune in to premium training led by experts.
- [2” built-in speakers] - enjoy clear audio of your trainer, their environment, and music during every workout.
- [Inertia-enhanced flywheel] - Enjoy a smooth and quiet ride.
- [250 lb. user capacity] - Built on a strong frame to accommodate a wide range of home users.
The NordicTrack RW 600 Rower is a machine that offers its customers a lot of benefits. This rower is a magnetic resistance rower, working to increase resistance in this machine. Its dimensions are almost 87 inches long and is over 50 inches high. While the RW 600 weighs just over 130 pounds, you can easily fold it to reduce its footprint when not in use. This is ideal for apartments or small homes of those who are rowing regularly. If you want an upgrade that includes a larger 22 inch touchscreen, you could always upgrade to the NordicTrack RW 900 rower.
- Magnetic resistance means that there should always be some level of resistance, and you will feel it, increasing the intensity of the workouts.
- 10″ interactive touchscreen
- iFit subscription is available – but not required.
- No Large 22” touchscreen as is on the NordicTrack RW 900 rower.
- Takes up a lot of space when it is out being used.
- Water tank impellers — creates tranquil water-like sounds for a realistic rowing experience
- 7 workout programs included — keeps you engaged and motivated
- 6 resistance levels — adjustable by water volume in the tank
- Large 5.5" LCD console — adjustable height and angles for optimal viewing
- Padded handles and flexible footplates — enhanced comfort during extended workouts
The Xterra Fitness ERG600W is a water resistance rowing machine that sits atop an alloy steel frame. It has a large contoured seat that sits 13.5 inches high and a textured row handle. The ERG600W has built in wheels for convenient moving and you can store it on its end. The 5.5” LCD monitor is pre-programmed with 7 rowing workouts to give your training a variety.
- 6 Levels of water resistance
- 13.5 inch Seat Height
- Large Contoured Seat
- Only Weighs 87 pounds
- Does not fold
- Small LCD Display
What to Look For in the Best Rowers Under 1000
Now that you know what the best rowers under 1000 dollars offer, you need to take a further look at the components of these machines so that you know you are purchasing one that will last for the long haul.
Your rowing machine is only as good as the quality of your frame. Because you will use it frequently, you want it to be made from a material that is strong enough to sustain the use. They make a durable and sturdy frame from a material like steel alloy, aluminum or even black walnut to carry body weight, frequent and high-intensity uses. A rowing machine that is full of plastic or even a hard plastic frame will not last.
The flywheel manages the resistance on rowing machines, and it can generate the resistance in different ways on different rowers. Some rower flywheels use air for resistance, some use magnetic resistance, or even water on some models to help attain fitness goals. Being able to build resistance and adjust that resistance over time is a critical component of the best rowers.
Chain and Handle
The chain and handle on your rower are the most used part of your rowing machine. The chain or the belt is connected to the rower flywheel. Chains are noisier but are stronger. Belts are quieter but wear out faster than chains.
Your rower seat should provide support for your core and back during the exercise. The seat should have sufficient padding, so you do not feel you are sitting directly on the rail. The seat should also provide enough support so that you are comfortable when you move forward and then back again.
The rail should not be too low. This determines how far you have to lower yourself onto the seat. Most rower rails are around 14-20” in height. The rail on your rower should be able to support you and the motion that you will do throughout the exercise. Make sure it does not bend or give in the middle.
Not all feet are the same, so the best rowers offer foot pedals that are adjustable. They can adjust to fit the width and length of your feet so that you row comfortably and have the best position. Most foot pedals have straps that come up and over your feet. Pedals often have a heel release so the pedal can lift off the footboard. Where your feet are during the exercise is essential to your posture and your ability to maintain endurance for the workout.
In order to watch your favorite shows or join in on a subscription program, you need a quality screen. The best rowers come with these screens that have Bluetooth and Wi-Fi functionality so that you can connect digitally and stay motivated during your workout. Also, these screens are often adjustable and even touchscreen. You can connect your Bluetooth headphones to your screens so that you can focus without distracting others in the home.
Many rowers are connected via technology, giving them the ability to use subscriptions such as Hydrow, Echelon, and Ergdata, among others. With some of these rowers, users can take advantage of these subscriptions that are offered with certain brands so that they can join a group of rowers across the country. You can also take advantage of different workouts with these programs so that you are getting diversity between each session. Those who need to mix up their routine a little really enjoy the interaction with subscriptions and the support they have behind them.
Benefits of Rowing
If you aren’t convinced about making an investment in one of the best rowers under 1000, then keep reading for the different benefits of why you should. It does not matter what your fitness level is currently or if you have never tried rowing. The benefits that come with this exercise make it worth purchasing one of these machines for your home.
From the first row on your new rower, you will feel the burn all over your body. Each of your body’s muscle groups is essential to help you make one successful row after another. While most think of the arms for rowing, those that actually row know how essential your core is to the exercise. Those who are new to rowing or overall fitness see this type of exercise as the best way to get in what they need, especially if you are looking for a minimal exercise option.
Increases Fitness Level
Because rowing requires all of your body and impacts all of it, your overall fitness level will improve. You will not only see that you are benching more on arm day, but that you can also squat more after doing at-home rowing for several weeks. In order to keep from causing damage to your joints and your muscles, it is essential that you start out rowing at a level that you can maintain and then increase your goals by 10 minutes per session.
Rowing Burns Lots of Calories
The more parts of your body you are using during exercise, the more calories you can expect to burn. If you repeat these motions where the body is being used consistently, you can expect to burn a lot of calories. Rowing is intense and requires overall muscle involvement. After a workout, give yourself plenty of time to recover. Your body will continue to burn calories for some period afterward.
Rowing As A Low Impact Exercise
If you need something that is low impact and can help jumpstart your fitness goals, then rowing is right for you. You are in the same stable position when you row, and you can move your arms and legs to your pace. Because of its movement and the fact that it is a low-impact exercise, it is a great option for anyone who wants some movement or the option to improve their overall fitness.
Is a High-Intensity Exercise
Just because it can start off as a low impact doesn’t mean it can’t increase in intensity. If you want more out of your exercise, you can increase the speed of your rowing when you have your next session, forcing you to increase the intensity. This helps you boost your fitness levels and produces higher levels of lactic acid in your arms, legs, and core. Make sure you are maintaining your posture when you increase the intensity so that you protect your back.
Great For Weight Loss
Like any workout that requires repetition, you will need to boost your sessions by several minutes over time to generate calorie deficits and weight loss. The truth about these rower machines is that they will force your entire body to work with each row. Because the entire body is engaged, you will burn fat and calories, thus making this a great option for weight loss. Once you feel yourself getting better and mastering your current session time, add 10 minutes each week to build up your tolerance and still maintain that goal of weight loss.