- Best Road Bikes Under $500
- 5 Best Road Bikes Under $500
- What Can You Get In A Road Bike Under $500
- How to Choose the Right Size Road Bike
- How to Choose the Best Road Bike under $500
Best Road Bikes Under $500
Historically, riding bikes has been a beloved activity for people of all ages.
In the past, it was more geared as a fun way of transportation for children to get to school, go to a friend’s house, or simply ride around and have fun.
It wasn’t necessarily thought of as something adults do regularly…. until now.
If you are one of millions of adults who enjoy road biking, you know that the cost of one can vary.
Depending on your must-haves of features, a road bike can cost anywhere from $150 to upwards of $10,000.
Yes, you saw that right! It shocked as well me when I saw that some can cost that much, but it’s true!
So, if you’re looking at getting into road biking or you simply want to find a solid bike that won’t break the bank, that’s what we’ll be looking at today.
We’ve got our list of the best road bikes under $500!
5 Best Road Bikes Under $500
We should note that the list below is in no particular order.
Because every rider is looking for something a little different, it wouldn’t be right to put them in sequence!
Here is our list of the 6 best road bikes under $500..
- 【Lightweight Durability】HILAND DARING Road bike has a high quality ultralight aluminum frame and an internal wire design. Great for paved areas, including road trips and neighborhood rides.The...
- 【Shift Gears Smoothly】Shimano 21-speed shifter combo with brake lever provides quick gear changes. Double wall aluminium rims gives strong tensile force so you can adapt to your terrain with ease.
- 【Precision Speed Control】Front and rear caliper brakes deliver for superior stopping power and speed control that you can ride relieved in a variety of conditions.
- 【Assembly Guide】Hiland road bike is 85% pre-assembled and easy to assemble within 25 minutes. The delivery box include free installation tools and pedals WITHOUT kickstand.
- 【Size Guide & Warranty】Size Small for people between 5'3" & 5'6", Size Medium for people between 5'6" & 6', Size Large for people between 6’ & 6'4". CHECK THE SIZE BEFORE YOU ORDER. Like every...
First on our list is the Hiland Road Bike 700c!
It comes 85% pre-assembled with an all aluminum ultralight frame.
It comes with all the accessories, including reflectors, pedals, and needed tools.
As of the current Amazon review, it has a 3.8 out of 5 stars, which is a pretty solid review!
Most boast of the bike being a great bike for beginning road-bikers, but a few reviews mention gear shifts being less than impressive.
So, if you’re planning on flatter roads, then this may be perfect for you.
- 6061 Aluminum Frame
- High Tensile Steel Fork
- Shimano Claris STI Shifters
- 32 Hole Double Wall Alloy Rim, 700c x 25mm tires
- Alloy Dual Pivot Brakes
The Giordano Libero is also made of aluminum, weighing in at 27 pounds!
While the assembly amount isn’t as specific as the Hiland, it notes that it requires some assembly.
While this is a great lightweight option receiving 4 out of 5 stars on Amazon reviews, most shared that the assembly was very complicated for those less familiar with bike assembly.
One reviewer noted it could cost up to $300 for proper assembly at a bike shop.
If you’re not afraid of a little DIY assembly, then this bike may be perfect for you because the other reviews are glowing about the actual performance of this bike!
- Quick and agile riding with the 21-inch aluminum fitness frame and rigid fork, with 700c wheels fit riders 5'4" to 6'2" height
- 14-speed shifter and brake lever combo provides precise shifting, you can trust for years of smooth shifting
- Road bike equipped with alloy linear pull hand brakes, ensuring superior braking performance
- Hybrid bike with drop style handlebar and sport saddle, and alloy wheels, alloy crank, alloy brakes and components
- Arrives partially assembled, will require tools, Philips head screwdriver, Allen wrench 4-8mm, adjustable wrench, pair of pliers with cable cutting ability
Weighing one more pound than the Giordana Libero, this aluminum Schwinn has some of the highest reviews out of the other bikes listed at 4.3 out of 5 stars.
If assembly is intimidating to you, then this may be your best option, as many of the reviewers shared it was straightforward and fast.
The only reservations mentioned were the overall wheel quality, which is something to consider depending on where you plan on taking it.
- Integrated Brake Lever/Shifters mean controllable braking and shifting in a convenient single unit designed for the road
- 6061 Double Butted Aluminum Aero Frame w/ Integrated Headset & Internal Cable
- Wheelset: 700c Doubled Walled CNC Machined Side, 700c x 25c tires
- Brakes: Caliper
- Free pedals included
If you’re wanting a road bike to use strictly as a commuter, this could be just right for you.
It’s also an aluminum frame, meaning it is lightweight.
It involves some assembly, and it’s important to note that it doesn’t come with a kickstand.
So, if you’re wanting to use it as a commuter, that may be another purchase you’ll have to make.
The Vilano Shadow received 4.2 out of 5 stars!
Many boasted about how wonderful it was as a starting commuter road bike!
- Eurobike XC550 road bike uses a smoothly 21 speed shifting and Dual Disc brake to provide you with an excellent riding experience and ensure full control under any circumstances
- 【Great Braking System】The disc brake can brake more accurately and quickly, so that you can judge the brake more accurately to ensure your riding safety.
- 【21-speed smoothly Shifting】 21 speed shifting system allowing you to easily adapt to various road conditions at different speeds.
- 【Drop-off handlebar and 700C Wheels】】Road bicycle with 700C -32 spoke/3-spoke wheels.The rolling resistance is small and the efficiency is higher. The wheels also have better rollover ability,...
- The 49/54cm frame is suitable for adult male and female riders of different heights （riders between 5'4"-6'1"）,you can choose the one which is suitable for you
The Eurobike XC550 is by far the heaviest bike on this list coming in at 36 pounds.
As you may have guessed, it gets its weight because they made its frame of steel.
It comes 85% assembled, similar to the rest on this list and reviewers rate it 3.9 out of 5 stars.
The biggest complaint made was its weight, but like I said, if you want something sturdier, this may actually be a pro for you!
What Can You Get In A Road Bike Under $500
As mentioned above, road bikes can greatly differ in price.
You can find road bikes for $250, $500, $1000, $5000, and $10,000. It’s crazy!
So, you may wonder… What can you get in a bike under $500? Well, let’s look…
They generally make road bikes of four different materials: steel, aluminum, titanium, and carbon fiber.
If you are looking for the best road bikes under $500, you won’t be able to find a titanium or carbon fiber one. These are the “top of the line” materials that are both lightweight and strong.
You won’t be able to find a bike under $1,000 made of these.
So, with a bike under $500, you’re looking at either a steel or aluminum frame. They have their own pros and cons.
For steel, it is always going to weigh a lot more, but it will be strong.
For an aluminum frame, you find the bike will weigh significantly less, but may be considerably less sturdy.
If you are closer to the weight limit of the bike, go with something sturdier, but if you have to carry it and transport it a great deal, you may want something lighter.
It all depends on what’s best for you!
In finding a bike under $500, the weight is going to be a little heavier than a more expensive road bike.
This mostly has to do with the frame materials as mentioned above.
The type of material will affect the weight of your bike.
With carbon fiber, you’d be looking at a lightweight bike around 17 pounds.
But, because that isn’t quite in the price range, bikes under $500 are going to be closer to the 25 pound mark.
Now, if it is steel, you’ll be looking at a bike weighing closer to 30-35 pounds.
Drivetrains can be fairly complicated.
So, to try to keep it simple, a drivetrain in a bike under $500 would be a little less quality in parts than a more expensive model, but would still get the job done.
Most of the bikes listed are 7 or 8 speed and will do the job perfectly for a beginning or first-investment bike!
Most of the best road bikes under $500 that we’ve listed come 75% assembled or more.
Because you will order them online, they will not come completely ready to go.
More often than not, you’re going to have to put the wheels on and some other minor details.
If you’re uncomfortable with assembling the bike yourself, you can always take it to a local bike shop and have them help you with assembly.
Of course, it will come at a price!
How to Choose the Right Size Road Bike
It’s crucial that you find the right size road bike for you.
You need to be safe and comfortable when you get on the road!
When you’re determining the size, you will need to consider your height and your leg inseam.
Once you know these two things, there are many charts online that will show you the bike size that correlates with your measurements.
For example, if you are a woman between 5’5” and 5’8” inches with 30” inseam, you would be best suited for a medium road bike (which is a 53, 54, or 55 cm).
How to Choose the Best Road Bike under $500
If this is your first road bike, it’s overwhelming to know which is the best for you.
Of course, you’ve got to pick a road bike that is the right size!
But, after that, it’s important to consider your lifestyle, its purpose for you, and your own personal style.
For example, some bikes listed below would be better suited as a commuter whereas others are more geared towards speed races and competitions.
So, in order to choose the best road bike for you, make sure you know how you will use it in your everyday life and go from there.
In this article, we covered what you can expect to get when searching for the best road bikes under $500.
We hope this article might help you in your decision in looking for a beginner or commuter road bike.